Monday, January 21, 2013


Fabula Meus Patria

Darkness from the setting sun
Sickness weakens all
Ja’rn extinguishes immortal stars
Sta’l buries the halls of the stone brothers

A new star beyond the Veil
Sickness weakened; tempered by Ja’rl and Sta’l
Warrior king dead beyond the Veil
Reborn to die and be reborn

Birth awakens the stone brothers
Ascension summons children of Immortal stars
Serpent’s Children gather Ja’rl and Sta’l once more
Defeat eternal darkness; Victory reconquest begins

                Cilo, Mistress of history and lore long forgotten, I sacrifice that which I hold most dear and beg your aid in telling the tale I have to tell.
                I give a thousand head of the finest cattle to your temples to aid them in doing your most precious work.
                I give my father’s traveling writing desk to your high temple in Nova Roma.  This desk, crafted for my most ancient forefather who served as scribe to Lucinius Crassus on his ill fated venture into Parthia, has been passed down in my family since those days over a thousand years ago and has witnessed the entire history of our race in these lands.
                And, most precious, I give the only fruit of my loins, a newborn daughter, to your service.  May she grown to be a most faithful priest and honored scholar in your service.
                Clio, Mistress of history and lore long forgotten, I beseech you to guide my hand as I set quill to parchment and tell the story of my father’s land.

                It was at a gathering of Elvin nobles where the prophecy was first told.  It was so long ago that even the Elvin records are vague as to when it was first told.  Yet, we humans learned of this prophecy only when the last Elvin citadel had fallen to the Great Horde.
                It has been four hundred and fifty years since the Great Horde was shattered upon our spears.  Now word reaches us that a new horde is forming in the lands to the west.  It seems  prudent to piece together the story  of how we humans came to this world we call Patria.  As the Jutelander noble Owain White tooth, also called the Bear, gathers our armies to meet this new horde, I must wonder if we are watching the last line of the prophecy come to pass.  Rumors abound that the dwarves have returned to their lands in the mountains we call the Dwarvin Crowns but these are unconfirmed and any travelers seeking to entire those lands are never heard from again.  If my forefathers correctly translated the original Elvin documents, either we will be destroyed as the Elves and Dwarves were or we will shatter this horde as we did the last and begin the long process of retaking the lands that these foul creatures have occupied for the last five hundred years. 
                Our story begins with the journal of my most ancient forefather, Publius Licinius Crassus, and how the shattered remains of a might army were brought to our world and founded our first city.  From there I go through the stories of all of the different races of humankind that the Elvin wizards and priests brought to this land.  Then I will tell the tale of how this odd collection of humans formed the first Empire and how it lasted until the Great Sickness, which preceded the Great Horde by only a few years.  Then I will try to reconstruct the years from the end of the Horde War to the present times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment