Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Welcome to the Old Fool On the Hill blog.

With apologies to Tommy Jefferson, but "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires" that I declare the nature and causes which impel me to create this blog.

First a couple points of clarification, yes, I am referencing the Beatles' song; get over it.  Generally speaking, I am fully confident that if you are not laughing at the Universe, then it is laughing at you.

I am a mildly autistic individual with a touch of attention deficit disorder.  What this means is that I will bounce from topic to topic but generally speaking I focus on politics, legal issues that grab my attention, general ranting about how often people who take themselves too seriously need to be the subject of ego deflation, and just about anything that grabs my attention at the moment.  Generally speaking, as an autistic, I've spent much of my life trying to figure out what makes humanity tick, what is the solution to the "human equation?"  So I'll bring in topics that are about human nature, the structure of society, and other like topics.

I don't expect many readers to really understand what I'm saying; I tend to make observations that assume a much higher level of historical education than most people have.  You can either ask me to explain or assume that I'm just an "old fool sitting on the hill watching the world go around."  I also use a lot of old sayings (often from Aseop's Fables or other classical Western tradition), often shortened so that if you do not know the old saying then you will be scratching your head.  For example, in commenting about a person's (usually a politician) inflexibility on a given topic, I might say "leopard's spots."  I thus assume that the reader will make the immediate jump to the old saying "A leopard can not change his spots."  If you don't get it; ask.  I may not have recognized that I'm making a jump (my law professors frequently graded me down for this on essay exams).

I love to have discussions on controversial subjects but I can not abide rudeness so if you lack the intelligence to use a refined insult and default to profanity or simplistic ad hominem attacks then please expect to be insulted or to have your comment deleted, especially if you are attacking other commentators in a way unbecoming of a gentleman (regardless of you actual gender).

No comments:

Post a Comment